Friday 11 November 2016

Symbols And The Art Of Abstract Language

These prints are an additional thread of work I have recently been exploring. 

I started off by drawing several hundred symbols, completely spontaneously, then picked out several I felt had some kind of resonance.

I then had to learn how to do some basic screen printing. I also had to learn about the qualities of the paper and how the choice of paper affects the final outcome.

I became interested in the relationship between different symbols, in different colours.

I think abstract, symmetrical shapes are the most natural and simple forms of communication, as it is in art. Our own alphabet is composed of shapes, when assembled in to words communicate a vast complexity of meaning.

I became very interested in developing another language that could evoke interpretative concepts, and found that by doing so the means to describe new ideas and ways of thinking is infinite.

These are open to interpretation, but are in themselves playful yet sophisticated works to reflect on.



Silkscreen prints on Somerset Newsprint Velvet and Saunders Waterford archival paper,
Limited edition

These prints are available to buy on request. Click the link below for more on my website.
http://www.markelliottsmith.co.uk/original-prints.html

No comments:

Post a Comment